The Franco Columbu diet is all about taking high protein in it. He always gave advice to everyone that the source of protein is an egg for anyone. He also claims that dietary guidelines about eggs and protein sources are completely wrong. He eats 120g of protein every day. But he suggests a healthy source of protein like eggs, fish, dairy products, and meat. In this post you will see about Franco Columbu diet and his workout routine.
Who was Franco Columbu?
Franco Columbu was a professional bodybuilder and an actor. He was born and raised in Ollolay, Italy. He also known as his nickname “The Sardinian Strongman”. After he came to the America, He trained his body with different regime. And made a massive sculpted physiques. He competed numerous competitions in his era. The big competitions like Mr. Olmpia and The World’s Strongest Man. He was known for his massive and incredible physiques in his era 1960, ’70s, ’80s. He won many powerlifting championships.
- Nationality : Italian
- Profession : Bodybuilder, Chiropractor, Personal Trainer, Movie Actor
- Date-Of-Birth : August 7, 1941
- Died On : August 30, 2019 (Age : 78)
Franco told about his diet and workout routine via many interviews, Instagram chats, and other social media platforms like Youtube. He started his career with boxing but after time passed and his mind developed about do big the he moved in powerlifting, and weightlifting, and then he started bodybuilding.
He won Mr. Olmpia many times in following year 1974, 75 , 76, 77 and 1981. He was shorter than his competitors but he never give up, He worked hard with determination and defeat his competitior. In 1977, He came in 5th place overall in World’s Strongest Man competition.
Franco Columbu Stats
Franco Columbu Weight is 185 – 195lbs (83.9 – 88.5kg). His Height in Feet is 5 ft 5 inches.
- Height — 5’5″ (165cm)
- Weight — 185 – 195lbs (83.9 – 88.5kg)
- Chest — 50 inches
- Arms — 19 inches
If we want to have a well physique body then we need to concentrate in our diet and workout. He follows his diet plan and workout very strictly. He also starred in Television shows and movies. the famous documentary Pumping Iron, that is still a massive hit today among the bodybuilding industry.
He got three powerlifting titles of Italy, Germany and Europe. In 1981, He won Mr. Olmpia at the 1st place. He was best friend of Arnold Schwarzenegger, They met in Munich in 1965. Where they competed with each other in several occasion, Then they became best friends.
Franco Columbu bodybuilding achievements are here. He won numerous competitions in his era. The all competitions and world-record he made are listed below.
- 1968 – NABBA Mr. Universe (Most Muscular)
- 1969 – IFBB Mr. Europe (Medium)
- 1969 – IFBB Mr. Universe (Short)
- 1969 – NABBA Mr. Universe (Short)
- 1969 – NABBA Mr. Universe (Most Muscular)
- 1970 – IFBB Mr. Europe
- 1970 – AAU Mr. World (Pro Short)
- 1970 – IFBB Mr. Universe
- 1971 – IFBB Mr. World
- 1974 – IFBB Mr. Olympia (Short)
- 1975 – IFBB Mr. Olympia (Short)
- 1976 – IFBB Mr. Olympia
- 1981 – IFBB Mr. Olympia
Titles Won in Powerlifting:
- Champion of Italy
- Champion of Germany
- Champion of Europe
- World Champion
World Records in Powerlifting:
- Bench Press 525 lbs.
- Squat 655 lbs.
- Deadlift 750 lbs.
Records in Weightlifting:
- Olympic Press 325 lbs.
- Snatch 270 lbs.
- Clean and Jerk 400 lbs.
Franco Columbu Diet
If we think about diet, all our body health depends on what type of diet we prefer to our body, like you need to take care of calories in the diet and many factors like, What should we eat? You must need to know that eating and sleeping is the most important factor in muscle building.
Franco’s main protein source is eggs. He said that eggs can be best for anyone who wants to take more protein in their diet. And also added that egg yolks contains enough fats which will neutralize cholesterol from other foods. Franco refered to a case study the consumption of egg yolks were tested among participants : “In a group of 100 people, the first group ate eggs. The second group drank only milk. The third drank milk and ate eggs. And people thought that third group is really going to have high cholesterol. But the eggs lowered the cholesterol, even in the group drinking milk.”
Let’s have a look in Franco Columbu diet.
- Meal 1 :(Breakfast) 3 eggs, 1 piece fruit, Large glass of orange juice, Yogurt with milk and granola cereal, Mineral water with a vitamin and mineral supplement.
- Meal 2 :(Lunch) Fresh vegetable with oil and vinegar dressing, Cooked vegetable, Protein, fish, chicken, lamb or liver, Wine or mineral water.
- Meal 3 :(Afternoon) Cheese and fresh fruit.
- Meal 4 :(Dinner) Same as Lunch
- Meal 5 :(Evening) Yogurt
The diet is created in a way that it can gave necessary nutrients and macros it needed for building muscle and losing fat. Above listed meal plan is the sources of his vitamin and nutrients. He believes in that to get proper protein from foods like eggs, fish, dairy products, and meat. When he was newly entered in bodybuilding industry, He used to take 200gm of protein within a single day. But after passed some years he lower down it to 120gm per day.
Franco Columbu Workout
Before starting the workout routine or training routine, make sure you stay hydrated during workouts by drinking water or energy drinks. And don’t forget to warm-up exercising and make sure to cool down by stretching your muscles out, because It helps you to do injury free workout or exercise. Let’s have a look in Franco Columbu workout.
- Day 1 – Chest and shoulders in the AM, arms in the PM
- Day 2 – Back in the AM, legs in the PM
- Day 3 – Chest and shoulders
- Day 4 – Arms
- Day 5 – Legs in the AM, back in the PM
- Day 6 – Chest and shoulders
- Day 7 – REST
- Day 8 – Arms in the AM, legs in the PM
- Day 9 – Back
- Day 10 – Chest and shoulders in the AM, arms in the PM
- Day 11 – Back in the AM, legs in the PM
- Day 12 – Chest and shoulders
- Day 13 – Arms
- Day 14 – REST
- 3 sets & 15 reps — Bench press
- 3 sets & 20 reps — Cable crossovers
- 3 sets & 20 reps — Dumbbell flyes
- 3 sets & 15 reps — Incline bench press
- 3 sets & 25 reps — Barbell pullovers
- 3 sets & upto failure — Dips
- 3 sets & 25 reps — Cable crossovers
- 4 sets & 10 reps — Lateral raise
- 6 sets & 10 reps — Bent over reverse laterals
- 4 sets & 10 reps — BTN press
- 3 sets & 8 reps — Alternating dumbbell front raise
- 3 sets & 10 reps — Cable lateral raise
- 6 sets & 10-15 reps — Wide grip pull-up
- 4 sets & 10 reps — T-bar row
- 4 sets & 10 reps — Seated cable row
- 3 sets & 10 reps — One arm dumbbell row
- 3 sets & 10 reps — Hammer grip pull-ups
- 4 sets & 8 reps — Triceps pushdown
- 4 sets & 8 reps — Standing dumbbell curl
- 4 sets & 8 reps — Barbell skullcrushers
- 4 sets & 8 reps — Barbell preacher curl
- 4 sets & 8 reps — Seated French press
- 4 sets & 8 reps — Seated incline dumbbell curl
- 7 sets & 20, 15, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2 reps — Squats
- 4 sets & 50, 25, 15, 8 reps — Leg press
- 6-7 sets & 20 reps — Leg extensions
- 2-3 sets & 12-15 reps — Barbell lunge
- 6 sets & 5, 5, 5, 3, 1, 1 reps — Deadlift
We feeling sad to tell that The Sardinian Strongman is no more. He made many world records in his entire life and made history by winning numerous competitions. We can evaluate that after take a look in Franco Columbu diet and Franco Columbu workout that If we want to be like him then we need to work hard for it and his daily routine inspire us and motivate us about get healthy body.
Instagram : @francocolumbu
Also Read : Greg Plitt Diet and Workout
Here is our Question & Answer Forum