What is Keto Diet?
The ketogenic diet is a very low-carb, high-fat diet that shares many similarities with the Atkins and low-carb diets. It involves drastically reducing carbohydrate intake and replacing it with fat. This reduction in carbs puts your body into a metabolic state called ketosis.
Meanwhile, the ketogenic diet is a high-fat diet that limits carb intake to 20–50 grams per day. This ultra-low-carb intake prompts ketosis, a metabolic state in which your body starts burning fat for fuel instead of glucose.However, the vegetarian keto diet eliminates meat and fish, relying instead on other healthy fats, such as coconut oil, eggs, avocados, nuts, and seeds.
Although the keto diet can promote weight loss if properly followed, the rate at which you lose may not be rapid — and that’s okay. … Summary A healthy weight loss of 1–3 pounds or about 0.5–1 kg per week can help you stay on track and maintain weight loss over time
Blood Sugar Control
With the keto diet, your body converts fat, instead of sugar, into energy. The diet was created in 1924 as a treatment for epilepsy, but the effects of this eating pattern are also being studied for type 2 diabetes. The ketogenic diet may improve blood sugar levels while also reducing the need for insulin.
Both vegetarian and keto diets have been shown to increase weight loss, support blood sugar control, and protect against several chronic illnesses. Keep in mind that no studies examine the vegetarian keto diet specifically.
Do’s and Don’ts of keto diet
1. Foods to eat in keto diet
A vegetarian keto diet should include plenty of healthy fats, non-starchy vegetables, and plant protein.
- Non-starchy vegetables: spinach, broccoli, mushrooms, kale, cauliflower, zucchini, and bell peppers
- Nut butters: almond, peanut, pecan, and hazelnut butter
- Full-fat dairy products: milk, yogurt, and cheese
- Healthy fats: olive oil, coconut oil, avocados, MCT oil, and avocado oil
- Nuts: almonds, walnuts, cashews, macadamia nuts, pistachios, and Brazil nuts
- Herbs and seasonings: basil, paprika, pepper, turmeric, salt, oregano, rosemary, and thyme
- Protein: eggs, tofu, tempeh, spirulina, natto, and nutritional yeast
- Seeds: chia, hemp, flax, and pumpkin seeds
- Low-carb fruits (in moderation): berries, lemons, and limes
2. Food to avoid in keto diet
On a vegetarian keto diet, you should avoid all meat and seafood.
You should eliminate the following foods:
- Meat: beef, pork, lamb, goat, and veal
- Fish and shellfish: salmon, tuna, sardines, anchovies, and lobster
- Poultry: chicken, turkey, duck, and goose
Here are some foods that you should limit:
- Sweeteners: brown sugar, white sugar, honey, maple syrup, and agave nectar
- Fruits: apples, bananas, oranges, berries, melon, apricots, plums, and peaches
- Alcoholic beverages: beer, wine, and sweetened cocktails
- Sugar-sweetened beverages: soda, sweet tea, sports drinks, juice, and energy drinks
- Legumes: beans, peas, lentils, and chickpeas
- Starchy vegetables: potatoes, yams, beets, parsnips, carrots, and sweet potatoes
- Grains: bread, rice, quinoa, oats, millet, rye, barley, buckwheat, and pasta
- Condiments: barbecue sauce, honey mustard, ketchup, marinades, and sweetened salad dressings
- Processed foods: breakfast cereals, granola, chips, cookies, crackers, and baked goods
Meal Plan in keto diet
- Breakfast: smoothie with full-fat milk, spinach, peanut butter, MCT oil, and chocolate whey protein powder
- Lunch: zucchini noodles with tempeh meatballs and creamy avocado sauce
- Dinner: coconut curry made with olive oil, mixed veggies, and tofu
- Breakfast: omelet made with coconut oil, cheese, tomatoes, garlic, and onions
- Lunch: cauliflower-crust pizza with cheese, mushrooms, diced tomatoes, olive oil, and spinach
- Dinner: salad with mixed greens, tofu, avocados, tomatoes, and bell peppers
- Breakfast: tofu scramble with olive oil, mixed veggies, and cheese
- Lunch: cauliflower mac and cheese with avocado oil, broccoli, and tempeh bacon
- Dinner: frittata with coconut oil, spinach, asparagus, tomatoes, and feta
- Breakfast: Greek yogurt topped with walnuts and chia seeds
- Lunch: taco lettuce wraps with walnut-mushroom meat, avocados, tomatoes, cilantro, sour cream, and cheese
- Dinner: zucchini pizza boats with olive oil, marinara, cheese, spinach, and garlic
- Breakfast: keto oatmeal with hemp seeds, flax seeds, heavy cream, cinnamon, and peanut butter
- Lunch: baked egg-avocado boats topped with chives, coconut bacon, and paprika
- Dinner: cauliflower fried rice made with coconut oil, veggies, and tofu
The vegetarian keto diet is a high-fat, low-carb eating pattern that eliminates meat and seafood.Independently, vegetarian and keto diet may promote blood sugar control, weight loss, and several other benefitsNonetheless, this keto diet may increase your risk of nutritional deficiencies and hasn’t been studied on its own.Still, if you are vegetarian and interested in trying keto diet or already following keto diet and curious about going meat-free — it’s definitely possible to combine both.